Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hawksbill turtles

Hawksbill Turtle

Hawksbill turtles are critically endangered sea turtles, so seeing my second one in the wild was a thrill. We were snorkeling at the Indians just off the coast of Norman Island, BVI. The first time I saw one was last in while snorkeling at Jost Van Dyke and that one spooked when it saw me. The one pictured ignored me and slowly swam around the reef eating while I followed at a safe distance. I followed it for about 5 minutes before it decided to move on. A couple quick strokes and it far out-distanced me and faded into the blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Alumroot's Photo Blog by Alan Wolf is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at flickr.com